NicoleSauce.com

Final stretch packing brought up a packing challenge: How do I keep everything straight in my bag so that I am not constantly digging for the things I need? After some consideration, becoming a bag lady appears to be the best option.

To save weight, my bag is a soft shelled duffle with wheels. There are no compartments and there is nothing more annoying than wanting a pair of socks in a rush and not finding them for 5 minutes until the entire bag is unpacked on the hotel floor. To save the aggravation, I spent $4 on mesh bags and ziplocks to contain the chaos. Each bag will be dedicated to an item. Jeans and other large items will travel bagless, but underwear, socks and even short sleeve shirts will be bagged for easy access.

Two days until takeoff...Next up, where to part the Subaru in Atlanta!

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Becoming a Bag Lady in Europe”

• Becky Helland

May 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

And back in the day when luggage wasn't limited by weight, removing all the air from those Ziplocs made it possible to pack an incredible amount of stuff in a single duffel bag. I basically turned my duffel bag into a filing cabinet with all my Ziploc bags of clothing, etc.

• Becky Helland

May 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm

• Nicole Williams

May 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I used to bring so much stuff on these trips – now my goal is less so that I can pack tons of chocolate for the return trip.

• Nicole Williams

May 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

• Bobbie Stockton

May 8, 2014 at 12:26 am

Wow Europe! Where to and for how long, and what to pray for you adventurous one!

• Bobbie Stockton