So, after all the food of the holidays and in spite of our snow shoeing activities, I find myself with a BMI of 25.5. This is officially over the line. I can be defined as "Overweight." For the last two weeks, Mark and I have discussed possible diets for me to try. Our roommate even piped in. At the end of the day, I have decided to test this Atkins thing for two weeks and measure the results. Interested in comparing? Click on the Weightloss Experiment Nicole Sauce category to view related posts.
According to Wiki:
The Induction phase is the first, and most restrictive, phase of the Atkins Nutritional Approach. It is intended to cause the body to quickly enter a state of ketosis. Carbohydrate intake is limited to 20 net grams per day. The allowed foods include a liberal amount of most meats, up to 4 ounces of aged, hard or soft cheeses, three tablespoons of heavy cream, two cups of salad vegetables, one cup of other low glycemic low carb vegetables. Caffeine and alcoholic beverages are not allowed.
This rather conflicts with other instructions we found online, so we came up with the following compromise:
1) 20 grams of carbs per day for 2 weeks
2) Coffee and vodka are OK in moderation
3) We will try to eat as many veggies as we can fit into the 20 gram scenario
4) After 2 weeks, we get a day of fun (Superbowl Sunday), where we track nothing. After that, I am on a 1600 calorie per day diet, balanced Sparky style.
5) Ongoing maintenance will include one "fun" day per week where I can eat and drink anything.
There are many tools available to plan the first two weeks of Atkins, but I just decided to download a nutrition chart and go for gold...
Each day, I will update my progress and outline what I consumed.
Consumed: two cups of coffee, 2 tablespoons cream, one bacon-wrapped fliet (6 oz), 1 celery stock, 3/4 cup meat based stuffing, 1 cup cabbage, 1/2 small summer squash, 1 tablespoon blue cheese dressing, 1 shot vodka, a bite of grilled steak, 1/4 cup shredded Mozzarella, lots of fizzy water.
Calorie Count: This is approximate - 1500.
How I Feel: Overfull. Not happy, not sad.
How Mark Feels: Sick to his stomach.
Weight at 8pm: 166.2 pounds.
Work Out: None.
Recipe of the day: Stuffed Cabbage
- 2 cups ground meat
- 1 diced summer squash
- 2 tablespoons blue cheese dressing (buy one without sugar)
- 1/2 cabbage
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon spicy peppers
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 pats butter
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
1) Squish together spices, meat, diced summer squash and blue cheese dressing
2) Cut the cabbage into quarter pieces and pull out the center so you have a 1/2 inch thick shell
3) Stuff the meat mixture inside the cabbage
4) Place a pat of butter on top of each quarter
5) Sprinkle cheese on top
6) Bake at 350 until it is done
Note: I undercooked ours and had to finish it off in the microwave. Use a meat thermometer if you have one to make sure it is done.
Total carbs: 16. (That's 8 each)
The serving was too big to finish and I awoke the next morning still FULL.